Claire specialises in Planning & Development Law and provides advice to local government clients with respect to all issues arising under the Development Act 1993 and related legislation including compliance provisions and development assessment generally.
She represents the interests of local government at mediations and settlement conferences for the purposes of dispute resolution in the Environment Resources & Development Court.
Claire regularly appears as counsel in the Environment Resources & Development Court in planning appeals and civil/criminal enforcement proceedings and as instructing solicitor and junior counsel in the Supreme Court of South Australia in relation to planning appeals and Judicial Review proceedings.
Claire has much experience in drafting statutory notices, land management agreements, and a wide range of policy documentation under planning and related legislation.
Claire has undertaken a number of large scale development department compliance audits for a number of metro and regional councils in South Australia.
Claire conducts training and education on a range of topics as required by clients and has a sensible results driven approach to achieving her clients’ objectives. She has taught planning law and related topics to undergraduate and postgraduate students at the University of South Australia.
- Town planning & development law advice and representation
- Civil and criminal enforcement & compliance
- Development policy
- Regulated trees
- Building/fire safety
- Swimming pool safety
- Natural & built heritage and conservation
- Land Management Agreements
- Land division
- Development department compliance audits
- Section 270 internal review of council actions
- Judicial review
- Compulsory acquisition
- Property Law
- Local government
- Administrative Law
- Former Lecturer, University of South Australia, Bachelor of Urban & Regional Planning, Planning Law, 2018
- Former Tutor, University of South Australia, Urban Management & the Law, Urban & Regional Planning (Masters), 2012, 2013
- Former member National Environmental Law Association (NELA)
- Former member Australian Institute of Urban Studies (AIUS)
- Doyle’s Guide Leading & Recommended Practitioner, Planning & Environment 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Australian Institute of Company Directors, Foundations of Directorship (Governance, Finance, Strategy & Risk for Directors and Officers in the Public Sector, 2018)
Claire's Areas of Practice
Environment & Regulatory Services
We are as committed as our clients to the proper regulation and protection of the environment, public spaces, public health, and the comfort and safety of South Australian communities.