An Australian and Hong Kong admitted lawyer, he has assisted over 400 companies to enter the Chinese market and advises on their China operations and ongoing compliance issues.
His expertise extends to advising companies in the agribusiness, FMCG, healthcare, sports and entertainment, medical technology, tertiary education sectors, on strategic alliances and joint ventures in China and for companies in the retail, manufacturing and e-commerce, insurance, logistics and commodities sectors.
He has advised food and beverage clients operating in the Asian region on their sales and trading, distribution agreements, intellectual property licensing and processing contracts and is a regular presenter to various international chambers of commerce and University SA and Melbourne University MBA course participants on these topics.
Richard has a particular focus on data privacy and cybersecurity compliance in China advising companies in the e-commerce sectors and on food labelling and food safety issues and customs and trade compliance issues.
- Joint venture agreements, licensing and partnership agreements
- Intellectual Property Registrations and Patent and Technology Licensing
- Regulatory advice for insurers and foreign banks
- Healthcare, Medical Technology compliance and regulatory advice
- Agribusiness, retail and food and beverage
- Transportation and logistics providers
- FDI and M&A advisory
- Corporate liquidations and restructurings
- Legal and financial due diligence
- Enforcement of NYC Arbitration Awards
- The Australian and New Zealand Intellectual Property Society
- Member of Lawasia
- Member of Australian Agribusiness Association
- Hong Kong Australia Business Association
- Member of the Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member of the Transport Lawyers Association (United States)
- The Australian Chamber Of Commerce (Shanghai)
- 2017 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award - Foreign Direct Investment Lawyer of the Year in China
Richard's Areas of Practice
Commercial & Consumer Law
Robust, relevant and understandable contracts are essential to every business transaction, support business relationships and manage risk. Our large team of dedicated and experienced individuals who can assist you with every aspect and at…
We have the experience, capability and resources to deal with a range of legal issues related to bilateral trade, commerce, foreign investment and migration.
Migration & International Business
Norman Waterhouse has representation throughout Australia, Asia, Europe and North American through our membership of ADVOC – a strategic association of international commercial law firms.