Exhale + Relax = Enjoy the Christmas Break
2020 has been a year of unprecedented stress and distress for many in our community. With Christmas closing in, the team at Norman Waterhouse has been thinking about the upcoming break as an opportunity for us and our families to rejuvenate and reset before carrying our newfound resilience into the year ahead. Below are 15 local activities our Employment Team recommends you consider taking to make the most of this holiday season before the vaccine arrives:
- Wine-down! Take a trip to one or more of South Australia’s award-winning wine areas such as the Barossa, McLaren Vale, Clare, Coonawarra, or the Adelaide Hills.
- Breathe in the fresh air on a relaxing walk or bike ride along the Clare Valley Riesling Trail. Be sure to take a break at a cellar door along the way.
- Road trip! Travel to our Southeast regions and be sure to stop by Mount Gambier’s Blue Lake and Umpherston Sinkhole, along with the cliffs leading to Robe’s Obelisk.
- Take a brake: ride your bike along the River Torrens and stop to eat a homemade lunch in the park along the way.
- Stop for a coffee in the main street of Penola before you visit the wineries for lunch. Stay for dinner and stay the night.
- Stay active by trekking through the Adelaide Hills walking trails and wildlife and conservation parks.
- Escape the city crowds whilst supporting South Australian tourism by enjoying the fresh air, wildlife, and ocean at Kangaroo Island.
- Stop and smell the roses on a picnic at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. Or maybe just stroll through with a partner or friend over a conversation and a coffee.
- Put on your safari hat and visit the lion enclosures at the Monarto Safari Park. Warning: you’ll be the one safely enclosed whilst the lions roam free!
- Walk along the coast of the Yorke Peninsula and witness its fascinating underwater wildlife on a snorkel trip. Think sandy beaches, colourful reefs, gigantic schools of fish. Beginners can shallow snorkel at Parsons Beach Reef.
- If you’re feeling brave, cage dive with the sharks in Port Lincoln. Want something more chill? Swim with the sealions and learn why they’re called the puppies of the sea.
- Grab a life jacket, ten mates, and board the BBQ Buoy while enjoying the onboard barbecue facilities.
- Sunbaking and stargazing: collect your friends and go off the grid and camp for the day and night at Second Valley.
- Want a more intense camping experience? Connect with South Australia’s outback by heading to the mid-North Flinders Ranges.
- Take a drive from Whyalla through to Ceduna, stopping along the way to enjoy fishing and surfing at some of the best beaches in the world! Better yet, enjoy the sunset and ocean views whilst having a drink at the Ceduna Foreshore Hotel Motel.
Above all, take the time to be with your friends and family. 2020 has demonstrated the importance of maintaining our support networks and making memories to reminisce on during tough times. From the team at Norman Waterhouse, we hope to see you refreshed and revitalised in the New Year and we look forward to working with you in 2021 and beyond. Come back in 2021 and let us know of all the places you visited.