Nick is one of the leading native title lawyers in Australia and has the unique distinction of having significant experience representing all three groups with major interests in this field: Government; the resources and energy industry; and Aboriginal native title holder, claimant and traditional owner groups. This has equipped Nick with an unparalleled insight into the differing interests and imperatives of all parties involved, allowing him to achieve swift and lasting outcomes when undertaking negotiations.
In this work, Nick has negotiated and advised on a number of market defining mining, energy and infrastructure agreements, many of which have State-wide economic significance.
Nick also specialises in the fields of constitutional and administrative law, and has conducted significant reported litigation (both as solicitor and counsel) in these areas throughout Courts and Tribunals including the High Court of Australia.
Throughout his career, Nick has undertaken a number of test cases and leading litigations, including:
- Representing Local Government in respect of the historic Kaurna native title determination.
- Finalising the Barngarla native title determination in Croft on behalf of the Barngarla Native Title Claim Group v State of South Australia (No 3)  FCA 552.
- The historic High Court constitutional law challenge to the Federal WorkChoices legislation: New South Wales v the Commonwealth of Australia  231 ALR 1.
- Acting as successful counsel in the Full Court of the Supreme Court of South Australia in the landmark case of Starkey & Ors v the State of South Australia and Ors  SASCFC 164, and acting in relation to the Special Leave proceedings in the High Court of Australia.
- Acting as prosecutor for the City of Adelaide in their successful prosecution against members of StreetChurch for preaching without authorisation in Adelaide’s Rundle Mall.
- Mining, Energy and Resources
- Native Title and Aboriginal Heritage
- Constitutional, Administrative law and ICAC
- Industrial Relations
- Chair of Accessible Housing Association 2015 – 2019
- Doyle’s Guide’s: Leading Native title Lawyers (national)
Nick's Areas of Practice
Native Title & Resources
Our nationally-recognised team is the most experienced in South Australia in respect of native title, Aboriginal heritage, and mineral exploration/extraction matters for Local Government.