Paul Kelly is a Partner in the firm’s specialist Local Government Governance & Regulatory Services Team and his straightforward and pragmatic approach to legal practice delivers direct and satisfying results for his wide range of clients.
The Norman Waterhouse Local Government Team is the largest of its kind in the State and is widely recognised as the leader in the provision of administrative and regulatory advice to the local government sector in South Australia. Paul also leads the NW Credit Management team, a specialist debt recovery service tailored exclusively for local government in South Australia. Paul’s experience includes governance, policy advice, administrative law issues and statutory interpretation. Representing client councils in contested matters in the Magistrates Court, the Liquor Licensing Court and Tribunal, the District Court, the Supreme Court and the Environment, Resources and Development Court, is a principal area of Paul’s practice.
Paul’s experience in the South Australian Police Department and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution gives him a unique insight into the Criminal Justice System.
Paul has successfully represented a council client in the High Court of Australia.
Paul prepares and delivers workshops, briefings and seminars on behalf of Norman Waterhouse to councils on civil enforcement and prosecution proceedings dealing with, but not limited to, the following legislation:
- South Australian Public Health Act 2011
- Housing Improvement Act 1940
- Dog and Cat Management Act 1995
- Food Act 2001
- Local Government Act 1934
- Local Government Act 1999
- Liquor Licensing Act 1997
- Expiation of Offences Act 1996
- Supported Residential Facilities Act 1992
- Summary Offences Act 1953
- Summary Procedure Act 1921
- By-law preparation, drafting and advice
- Prosecution and enforcement in a wide range of Environmental, Health and Regulatory matters
- Criminal prosecution proceedings
- Civil enforcement orders
- Road traffic related prosecutions/defense
- Liquor licensing
- Collection of overdue local government rates
- Committee Member, Environmental Health Australia (South Australia) Inc.
- Committee Member, Local Government Authorised Persons Association Inc.
Qantas Spirit of Australia Award (SA Police)
Paul's Areas of Practice
Environment & Regulatory Services
We are as committed as our clients to the proper regulation and protection of the environment, public spaces, public health, and the comfort and safety of South Australian communities.
Commercial Litigation & Debt Recovery
Our team have comprehensive working knowledge and experience in providing specialist litigation and debt collection services.