Our Environment, Health and Regulatory Services practitioners are the pre-eminent lawyers in their field in South Australia.
We have significant experience in advising upon and dealing with regulatory matters for local government councils across the full suite of statutory regimes under which councils have functions and responsibilities.
Additionally, our experience extends to advising and acting for others, including State authorities and boards and various local government and regional subsidiaries.
We also advise private sector clients in various industries such as waste management, energy, renewable energy, transport, farming, forestry, aquaculture and mining.
This broad range of experience coalesces to create a holistic approach to advising and problem-solving.
Why Choose our Team?
- We recognise that potential enforcement scenarios are never one-size-fits-all.
- We examine individual circumstances, evidence, and available enforcement tools to make the right decisions.
- In the courtroom, our practitioners have set a range of legal precedents which apply throughout the State.
- Outside the courtroom, we also regularly provide training, template documentation (such as permits, orders, and public notices) and investigative assistance.
- Proven record of providing advice in a timely and cost effective way.
- Our practitioners sit on a range of industry boards and associations, giving them firsthand knowledge of processes, practices and procedures across government.
- We deliver pragmatic and effective solutions for the benefit of our clients and for the public at large.
- Successfully represented South Australian local government in a High Court challenge to the validity of council by-law making power.
- Regularly advise and act for clients in matters under Local Government Act 1999, Environment Protection Act 1993, South Australian Public Health Act 2011, Local Nuisance and Litter Control Act 2016, Dog and Cat Management Act 1995, Road Traffic Act 1961, Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005, Food Act 2001, Liquor Licensing Act 1997, Native Vegetation Act, 1991 and other legislation.
- Successfully acted for councils in Supreme Court appeals against council prosecutions.
- Represented local government in injunction proceedings under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
- Consistently produced leaders in the field who have gone on to become judges, leading barristers and university lecturers.
- Conduct regular training (including accredited training) for council staff and authorised officers regarding investigation, evidence gathering, and enforcement procedures.
- Regulatory Prosecutions
- SACAT appeals
- Environment, Resources and Development Court matters
- Delegations and authorisations
- Authorised officer powers/functions
- Public Interest Disclosures
- By-law preparation and enforcement
- Expiation notice requirements
- Environment protection and site contamination (including advising persons authorities as licence holders, land owners and actual or potential polluters)
- Liquor Licensing
- Public health and food safety
- Animal management and control
- Local nuisance and litter control
- Road traffic management
- Investigation of environmental incidents
- Crisis management